Texting was a mystery to me until a friend said, “Use the phone app.” Suddenly the lights went on and all became clear. Since that day I have also learned how to text using the Message app, how to send images, and the steps to take to text multiple people at the the same time. Below are some tips. My images are from an iPhone, however I have included links at the bottom for texting from other smartphones. The directions at these links are easy to follow.
• Remember, you can only text to phones that accept text message. Landline phones do not. Some cell phone do not. Make sure you know if the number you are texting accepts texts.
• Make sure your Contacts app is up-to-date. Scan your contacts list to see if all of the folks you might text are included in your contacts. Double check that all important phone numbers and emails are current.
• Using the phone app to text
- Tap on your phone icon.
- Go to your Contacts.
- Select the person you want to text. Tap and wait for his/her listing to appear.
- Scroll through the screen until you find “Send Message”. Tap Send Message.
- A box will pop up with phone numbers. Choose the phone number you want to send the text to—make sure it is the one that accepts text messages. Remember—no landlines! A new screen will appear where you will write your message.
- “To” line is already filled in.
- Type your message in “text message” box and tap “Send” button. It’s gone and probably delivered withing 15 seconds.
What if I want to send to multiple people?
- When you get to # 6 above you can add additional people. In the “To” box add their phone numbers or their names. If you type in a name, phone numbers will appear. Choose the one(s) you want to use.
Below is a short video demonstrating how to text using the phone app on an iPhone.
Now that you are an expert on texting using the Phone app, it’s an easy jog over to texting from the Message App.
• Using the Message app to text
- Tap on Messages app icon (Green on iPhone)
- Look for icon that signifies new message. On an iPhone it is a box with a pencil in it. Tap on it.
- Fill in the “To” box either with a phone number that accepts texts or the person’s name. If you use a person’s name you will see a box that allows you to choose a phone number.
- If you want to add additional people to the text, tap the + sign on the right hand side of the screen. Your Contacts will appear. Tap on the person(s) you want to include on the text.
- Fill in your message box and tap Send.
Here are links for texting on other other smartphones
Google Phone: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115116?hl=en
If you have another brand, just “Google” the question, “How do you text on a …… (fill in the brand)? The answer will pop up.
Now—teach a friend how to text. We remember things better when we apply the new skill in another setting. Go to lunch, pull out our smart phone and casually ask, “Want to learn how to text?”