Creating albums in Photos is quite a bit different than in iPhoto. Let’s walk through the steps one-by-one.
1. Open Photos.
2. In the menu at the top, click on albums.
3. You should get a screen that looks something like the one below.
I have to confess that every time I open Albums it looks just a bit different from the last time. I am learning as I go along! When you look at the image above you will notice that I have albums for All Photos, Faces, My Photo Stream, Last Import, Panorama, Videos, Time-Lapse, iPhoto Events, and various other labels. Many of my folders have been created automatically because of the ways I take pictures and use Photos–Everyone’s Photo Album page will look a little different!
- Everyone should have All Photos–those are the pictures you have taken.
- Faces appears because I have named some of my images. We can search Photos by face recognition if we take the time to create the labels. We will cover how to do that in another post.
- My Photo Stream is there because I have “Photo Stream” turned on in my setting on my iPhone and iPad and in System Preferences on my Mac laptop. Photo Stream shares images across all Apple devices. So, if I take a picture on my iPhone, it will also show up on my iPad and iPhone in Photos.
- Last Import is a folder because I often “import” images from other places to Photos.
- iPhoto Events simply and magically migrated automatically from iPhoto to Photos.
- Panorama, Videos, and Time-Lapse appear because I have taken those kinds of pictures. Apple has thoughtfully created folders for each variety of the images so I can find them easily.
- The other various album titles I have created
4. Let’s create a new album. To the right of the Photos/Shared/Albums/Projects, you will see a + sign. Click on it. You will get a drop down menu with a variety of choices. Click on Album.
5. You will get another drop down menu where you can name your new album. Just type the name of your album in the box next to words Album Name. Remember, if the space is highlighted in blue, you can just start typing! Then click OK (blue button).
6. Now we want to add some pictures. After you click OK, you should be taken back to your Photos screen and at the top it will say Choose Photos. Simply click on the images you want in the folder and a blue circle with a white check mark will appear in the bottom right-hand corner of each image. Then click Add (blue button on right)
7. The next question is…How do we add images to an existing album?
- This time, start in Photos and click on the images you want to add to your existing album. You will know they are selected because a blue frame appears around the image.
- Click the + sign and choose Album in the drop down menu.
- You will get a new drop down menu. Notice the button with Album on it has a little white arrow on the right. Click on it and you will be able to choose which album you wish to put the pictures in.
8. All of the images will remain in Photos section as well as appear in the designated albums. If you have questions, post them in the comment section. Or if you have an another or faster way to accomplish the same tasks, please share in the comment box. Thanks!!
In the next post we will talk about sharing.